Hello From Iowa! :)

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Hello From Iowa! :)

Postby Everett Bromwich » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:43 pm

My name is Everett... but my friends call me Kimo (pronounced: key-moe)

I'm an engineering student and fellow DIYer. I really get into open source hardware and alternative power sources. I plan on eventually building an "off the grid" place someday. I've been studying alot about solar and wind power. Looking into trying to build my own sealed solar panels array here soon.

Hopefully I can give some good input to this great cause! Thanks for letting me be a part of your community! :)
Remember, today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday. -Dale Carnegie... checkout and join my Tech group on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/KimozTech
Everett Bromwich

Re: Hello From Iowa! :)

Postby Doug Coulter » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:20 pm

Welcome Kimo! You know that guaranteed, good, cheap, already made panels are available, right? As in $1/watt if you get enough to be worth having at all.
I'm using Solarex (owned by Amoco and then BP!) and Schott (the German glass company) right now. The Schotts were under $1/watt and 20+ year warranty, and (way) outperform their specs new. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to make your own these days, other than for learning purposes. Keeping them hermetic is the hard ($) part...while living through a daily temperature cycle (do all the tempco's match?), not making the cells. I wish you luck on that one. Do avoid the Chinese ones, they were a horrible failure for Google, Walmart and others - badly made. One company that claims to be Canadian is actually Chinese. Not that they don't make some good ones - I just haven't found any yet. And how long they live is a huge issue.

Wind could be good, but the basic rule is - bottom of rotor must be at least a rotor diameter above any wind obstruction for half a mile. That's near-impossible for me to meet halfway up a mountain. FWIW, I fooled with it anyway, and then decided I didn't like having a lightning attracting thing hooked to my system anyway. For awhile, I had hydro, about 50w worth, not much but cool to have at midnight - but it was half a kilo away and not worth keeping the turbine unjammed or replacing the wire every so often. So I'm pretty much all solar now. I have 35+ year old panels that are still at 70% of new spec. Seems like a winner.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Announce yourself