Greetings from a Jacksonville Florida, SE!

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Greetings from a Jacksonville Florida, SE!

Postby Darren Li » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Hello everyone,

As my username indicates, my name is Darren Li, I'm a software Engineer in the Defense Industry in Jacksonville Florida. I currently program maintenance behaviors for the AH64D/E. I naturally love solving problems and love challenges, so programming has been good to me and has sparked a great interest in expanding my knowledge in various fields. My main hobbies are shooting, running, cycling, off-roading and camping. I love to see people’s unique approaches to solving problems, no matter the medium, and love to see if I can come up with something better and/or different. So with that in mind, I truly can’t wait to expand my knowledge here on the forums and hopefully me being potentially so comparatively young I’ll be able to give back to the community. I truly feel that Open Source is the way to go since it encourages collaboration as well as competition that only betters the end result (In my opinion).

Look forward to getting to know everyone and reading up on some really great articles!
Darren Li

Re: Greetings from a Jacksonville Florida, SE!

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:29 pm

Welcome Darren. You're in a fast crowd now, and a lot of the newer guys are computer/software types - which we needed for balance, I was getting a bit lonely over there. I'm a big fan of various flavors of open source myself. But as just one guy, with a lot of other things to do, I only can do so much. In my case, I simply write code to do things I couldn't find (or afford) elsewhere - I "scratch my own itch". Others take on bigger projects, or help with them. Personally, I don't have time to be a linux kernal developer for example - it works well enough for me as is, there's no itch there, really (though I do see some dumb things done). It's something that loads my code and runs it...but YMMV and so on.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Greetings from a Jacksonville Florida, SE!

Postby Nick Strait » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:16 pm

hey, your only like a half hour from me(saint augustine here(you know the large tourist trap between jax and daytona)
Nick Strait

Return to Announce yourself