Hi from an almost nuclear free New Zealand

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Re: Hi from an almost nuclear free New Zealand

Postby rchuso » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:50 pm

Hello all. First post, I believe.
What John didn't mention is that immediately after that sailing the weather turned sour. It's been raining ever since, and inconveniently coincided with my boat coming out of the water for paint (and removal of the attached aquatic reserve).

(http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/51430 ... ption.html)
I've been searching for any information on the use of sound generators or attestations by major carriers that these actually keep the barnacles and other pests from attaching to the hull. The power consumption could be reduced if such a device could determine appropriate resonant frequencies, and if it actually worked.
Does anyone have any references I could read?

Rand
rchuso

Postby chrismb » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:52 pm

Line the bottom of your boat with a copper sheet to transmit the vibration, and you can then use any frequency you wish! ;)
chrismb

Re: Hi from an almost nuclear free New Zealand - ZnO

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Just saw this:
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-nan ... icity.html

John, did you notice if your stuff is piezo? Wonder what the axes of flex vs electric output would be (I'm still thinking field emission here, but with self-supplied field by shaking the thing perhaps).
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby johnf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:47 am

Doug
good thought--I was aware that it was piezo but its not one of things on our horizon so easily forgotten in the heat of the moment.

I'll set up a crude test ---I'll post results later
thanks John
johnf

Previous

Return to Announce yourself