Hi from an almost nuclear free New Zealand

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Hi from an almost nuclear free New Zealand

Postby johnf » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:47 pm

I spend most of my working time here
http://www.gns.cri.nz/services/ionbeam/nanotech.html
johnf

Re: Hi from an almost nuclear free New Zealand

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Welcome, indeed, John!

Looks like your outfit kind of counterbalances that nuclear-free thing. I've been guessing you know more than a little about ion beams and implantation kinds of things.
Those might have been off topic elsewhere but I really want them here, so go for it. If I need to create sub-forums to better organize things, let me know, and I will get it done quick.
I think I forgot to make one on vacuum deposition in general, which is one I'd like to have (heck I do some myself!), so I just did, it's a subforum under vacuum technique.
I'm not saying to only post there of course, just that in this case I know you could be a real serious contributer there.

The task of organizing hard science into a 3 deep max (software limits, and the third level doesn't show till you get to its parent) tree that isn't too wide is pretty daunting
and I need all the help I can get on that. All suggestions welcome.

I feel like all science hangs together and that there's very little not worth knowing. I personally would like to learn some of what you know (as much as you're willing).

After my parents brought back pics from their visit to Kiwi-land, I now have to admit that I only live in the second coolest place on the planet.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby johnf » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:39 pm

I've managed another publication

20101207105948811.pdf
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 308 times
johnf

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:17 am

Kudos John! Good stuff here, I'm still absorbing the details. I note you mention some UV photoconductivity in the results. Would FE also go up if UV were present during the measurement?
Seems as if it might, if for no other reason than that.

Would this stuff degrade quick if hit by ions reverse-accelerated in the field? (Most things do). I suppose though you could arrange things with a magnet to get a good electron stream that got bent on the way out, so ions would miss the cathode coming back in?

Edit:
Am I understanding you change the partial pressure of oxygen *during* the discharge?
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:49 pm

Doug Coulter

Postby Starfire » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:41 am

Nackered but chuffed - she is a beaut. I wish you many happy hours.
Starfire

Postby johnf » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:12 pm

And now the patent for the ZnO nanorods has come through

PCT-WO2010-120196 A1.pdf
(3.12 MiB) Downloaded 306 times
johnf

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Enjoyed reading that. Nifty stuff, and at least for me, a nice RH sensor would be very nice, existing ones are tough to "drive" and pretty flakey -- the old human hair still does the job better than most of them. It's just that it's hard to interface to digitally, not easy like something that changes by orders of magnitude like your sensor.

I'm wondering for the FE case if you couldn't make the bulk of the nanorods stand on end via an applied field while the adhesive hardens. IIRC, they did something like this for the more advanced cassette tape formulations in another context. Wouldn't that make it a better emitter than random orientation?
Doug Coulter

Postby johnf » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:05 pm

Doug
Sorry for not answering sooner
in reply
to a possible use ---very interesting I see Fujitsu are padding around the edge of another patent of ours ---where we are able to make P-type ZnO by implanting N ions

And yes I had already thought of using an E field to try to stand the little beasties up --but there are so many in the matrix that enough of them are standing up enough -

I used this with an idea to make an electrostatic precipitator to remove aerosols from smoke I coated the cathode with homemade carbon multiwall tubes using the same glue as in the articles a coaxial arragement where the cathode was a 0.5" rod coated with the cnts and the anode was a 4" SS pipe around it.
I used a 100kV glassman to drive it but I hit current limit at 21kV ie 10mA of electron flow --enter the smoke plenty in none out--- precipitators normally need 100 -200kV before enough ionisation takes place

any way the boat went back in the water Tuesday morning and yesterday I took out our division and so you can put faces to names heres a pic of the boss Andreas enjoying himself
had 17 on board but we dropped five off to explore the island in the background and we sailed around for an hour and a half before picking them back up
AM.jpg
johnf

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:21 pm

There's so little checking for prior art in the patent system(s) its not funny -- really depressing considering what it takes to "break one" if the other guy has money and legal talent.
I'm hoping this site will provide prior art on some fusor stuff for that very reason -- self-defense, as having it is the cheapest way to keep someone from stealing our work via patent system.
This is why it's remotely hosted and all timestamped, BTW -- didn't cost much and seems wise to do.

Love the pic, especially after just coming in from single digit F temps....ahh, boats and beer. Did you ever notice that there's something magic about sailboats that makes beer taste better?
I did, anyway.

Rats, time to go shove another 20 lbs of firewood into the heater....or wake up freezing. How many people do you know that run high purity vacuum systems etc, in the same room with a woodstove? I've even done vapor phase reflow soldering on it...

Nice time of year to do cat III hardcoat anodizing though -- otherwise you need expensive chillers to keep the solution down near freezing or get lousy results.
Or blacksmithing work -- that coal fire feels really nice, you just turn like a you were on a spit to keep warm while doing it.
Summer here, either one is not very fun to do, or economic. Being far from the ocean, and on top of a mountain, the temps get extreme both ways here. Helps to be a fan of weather in general, but if you get hooked on one type, your window of happiness narrows a lot.
Doug Coulter

Next

Return to Announce yourself