Hi from Connecticut!

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Hi from Connecticut!

Postby Daniel Nield » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:24 pm

Hey everybody! I'm Dan, and it's great to be here. Many thanks to our gracious host for turning registration back on! Saw the video on Motherboard a couple days ago, and said to myself: "Huh. I really dig what this dude is all about..." which is how I wound up here.

About me: I am a former USAF Munitions troop, former class III electronics assembly tech, former postmaster for zip code 58626, former network management tech at ESPN, CURRENT full-time stay-at-home dad (best job ever), and while I don't quite have the experience under my belt to be able to also call myself a philosopher king, I'm willing to settle for prince regent. Or maybe a viscount. I don't know, I'm not quite sure of the protocol here...

Anyway! I am addicted to learning new skills, and love to be surrounded by subject-matter experts (by that I mean anyone who knows more than me) so hopefully I'll get the opportunity to ask you guys some intelligent questions.

Thanks for having me on board!

-Dan
Daniel Nield

Re: Hi from Connecticut!

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:38 pm

Welcome, Dan, glad to have you on board. I'm only getting about 12-14 new people signed up per session, as the bots are sneaking past me when I allow new members, and then we mods have to spend time ID'ing and then killing them. They usually have a short attention span, so when the count of them hitting me drops, I'll be adding more members - we got a completely silly number of requests, or maybe, a fantastic number - we'll find out! If you have something you want to share and can't seem to find a place it fits, let me know and I might even create a new sub-forum if we don't have the right one already. We are sort of trying to "Write the book" here - though it's only an attempt, rather than "stream of conciousness" which is well served elsewhere anyway. The idea is to create a resource for all to learn from - if they didn't teach it in school or already cover it well enough elsewhere on the web.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Announce yourself