Dallas, Texas, Ya'll...

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Dallas, Texas, Ya'll...

Postby vox » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Heyooo from Texas everyone...

My name is Martin and I know just enough to be dangerous!

I'm a software engineer by trade - if it involves computing, I pretty much "get it."

Currently, I'm very interested in designing and building a solar power system for my residence. Many thanks to Doug for the warm welcome and invitation to the board.

Warmest regards to you all...
vox

Re: Dallas, Texas, Ya'll...

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Hey guys, give him a nice welcome! I met Martin (as vox) over on another board I frequent, PMBug. http://www.pmbug.com/ While the name there might indicate a den of rabid gold-bugs, it's really a lot better than that would be - it's a board full of very smart, nice people who realize that there's more to the world than gold. Witness, they haven't tossed me out yet!

But we were starting to get too much into science and philosphy there, which was messing up PMBug's organization and mission, so I invited the crowd over here for those kinds of things.

We could use more posts on our computer forums here, Martin. Anything you don't see a good category for, I'll add one if you get in touch. The object here is to get as much knowledge as possible documented, (and hopefully, well organized) especially including "tricks of the trade" and practical things you don't get on Wikipedia - kind of like Asimov's "first foundation" if you've read his SciFi. But we're all real humans and like to chat too - that's what the water cooler is for, just anything. Threads everyone loses interest in there go away after a couple weeks of no posting to them, unless one of the moderators here makes them sticky, so it's really a low maintenance anything goes kind of place there.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Dallas, Texas, Ya'll...

Postby chrismb » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:34 am

Hi Martin!

My original University study/training was software engineering, but I have been left waay behind on anything software related since then. I'll be sure to come blagging for your time if there is something beyond my trivial skills!

This forum is a small, eclectic mix (within 'technology' interests), and we all, each, have 'pet' projects under way, so I look forward to reading of your projects/interests.
chrismb

Return to Announce yourself