Hello From Vancouver Island

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Hello From Vancouver Island

Postby Brian Gage » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:19 pm

Greetings. My name is Brian, I'm 64, totally blind, using a screen reader. I type, it talks. The Fukishima disaster re-kindled my cold war fears, and dormant interests in the realms of nuclear physics. After much web crawling and studying about Geiger counters, I obtained my first ever radiation survey meter in September (Monitor 4EC). My computer does the talking, so I didn't need a fancy counter. Sifting the web for knowledge (quite the task), I came across the fusor Forum and old teenage interests in plasma physics took hold. Doug and others from the Fusor Forum have been a great help when it comes to interpreting visuals... diagrams, circuits, shapes of fusors, and many other such questions.
Brian Gage

Re: Hello From Vancouver Island

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:57 am

Welcome Brian. It must take a lot of effort to do this, I'm impressed! Hope our pages help you - we get wordy at times, and use a lot of pix. Some of the videos might still be good, since they have sound.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Hello From Vancouver Island

Postby Starfire » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:39 am

Hi Brian and welcome from Ireland - your still a kid, if a curious one :D
Starfire

Return to Announce yourself