Hello from the west coast

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Hello from the west coast

Postby ScottMc » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Following procedure here. I do like the filter process that Doug has, intelligence is the key.

I'm an autodidactic by nature and that seems to have worked well in feeding my thirst to learn, or is the other way round? In any case being a bit of a nerd or oddball sits fine with me.

starting with the basics, I've worked in engineering related fields for 20yrs. everything from architecture to zoology OK maybe not that last one but who knows given enough time. I formally studied physics and mechanical engineering and have for the last 15yrs been doing self directed study in quantum physics and biology. MIT open course is a great resource as is archive and Gutenberg press on texts and literature which most may already know of. I ended up here from bouncing around doing research on e-field wells.

I'll admit that I need to put the pencil down and start working on experiments and as I'm not getting any younger yet, that should be sooner rather than later. I hope to learn and share with the group as time allows.

Scott
ScottMc

Re: Hello from the west coast

Postby Doug Coulter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:57 pm

Welcome Scott. Yes, there's a chicken-egg question of which came first - brains or thirst for knowledge. Seems pretty rare to find one without the other is about the main observation one can make.

We like to talk our share of trash and theory, in their places. We keep most of the board for the results of actual physical measurements, as history has shown these to be the most valuable. Just raw data, not interpreted or selected seems to be the stuff that holds up over time, no matter the explanation - and if you've skipped that raw data, it seems difficult to come up with new useful theory - which after all, has to have something to explain and be tested against. Both endeavors work hand in hand - you often need some theory to know what to test, and some tests to know if present theory has issues.

You'll find a lot of other really smart people here, or so I think. That's been a big part of our purpose - get them all together so we can perhaps be better than the sum of our parts. I tend to feel like something is wrong if I'm not either teaching or learning, myself.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Announce yourself