Hi from Beaverton, OR

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Hi from Beaverton, OR

Postby Jerry » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:47 am

Hi, my name is Jerry. I live in Beaverton, OR outside Portland. I live a stones throw from Tektronix, Maxim, and a whole bunch of other places like that.

Graduated High School in 93 and subsequently work as a small engine mechanic to surplus and even in an asian grocery store. After that I started in commercial lighting and then moved on to repairing welding and plasma cutting equipment. After that did some machine work for Laika on the Coraline film and finally the last job was Shop Foreman for TechShop Portland. It was a member based shop but went out of business at the end of January 2010. Now I am gainfully unemployed. Wheee...

Here is a time lapse video I took when we had a week to clear out of the building:

Over the past 5 years or so I have managed to build a very nice shop with some of the best equipment you can get. Well, within reason!

I have interests in all sorts of stuff, lasers, vacuum, electronics, machining, you name it. I can also weld (Very well, so I am told) but I really am not rally in to it. To put is simply I can build or fix just about anything!

Check out my Flickr photostream here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67292116@N00/
And youtube videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SupermaxCNC

Some pics of my shop and toys. Kind of out of date but to the point. They were even featured on CNN!

Jerry

Re: Hi from Beaverton, OR

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:57 am

Welcome Jerry!
You certainly have a sweet setup there, it makes even me jealous. And your work with it is fabulous.
Taking note of the "gainfully unemployed" (As am I), you may want to put up some posts on the trading post
forums for have/want and skill swap sections, where they will stand out and be noticed as we
get more members. Heck, even though I have a pretty decent shop -- there are things I'd like to
get done that I can't do that it looks like you could.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Hi from Beaverton, OR

Postby Jerry » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Monarch still makes that lathe. Current new price is only $100k :shock:

Yeah, I was thinking of posting like you said.

-Jerry
Jerry

Return to Announce yourself