New member Robert Mix joins Coulter's backyard

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

New member Robert Mix joins Coulter's backyard

Postby Robert Mix » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:20 pm

I thank Doug for his recent cascade of emails with me about different scientific, software, investment and other topics.

My main interests are rolling bearings (we have a bearing import company in Lima, Peru), GOLD (<-- let's see if that worked!), analytical software, investments, Tai Chi, science (a variety of subjects) and other topics. I am NOT an expert in anything really.

In my emails with Doug, it appears that you guys are probably WAY AHEAD of me in anything I choose to toss into the fray, but I will see if I can make some positive contributions.

I have some upcoming self-education projects: learning more about blogging, learning statistical software "S" and seeing what the "Cloud" (at least Google's part) can do for me.

Cheers to you! This looks like a fun place!

R A Mix [url]robertmixblog.blogspot.com[/url]
Robert Mix

Re: New member Robert Mix joins Coulter's backyard

Postby Doug Coulter » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:40 pm

Welcome Robert! For other's benefit, we met over on ZeroHedge, a blog for people who like to show up the lies our governments are telling us about finances and so on. Pretty wild place over there (they permit some pretty snarky trolls and fairly uncivilized behavior), but there are some smart people too, so I've been inviting them here as well. Bob is one, and welcome indeed (and I forgot, some people don't like their names contracted, let me know if you're one). If you have questions, ask away -- we like those as an excuse to explain what "everybody here knows". Because we easily forget that a lot of people don't know all this and might forget to teach it otherwise. A lot of this is we are kind of writing the book on modern lab practices, which is darned hard information to find otherwise, and here we have some of the best - real practitioners who actually do this stuff, documenting how they do it.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Announce yourself