VA Tech fusor team visit

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Re: VA Tech fusor team visit

Postby Lee Hall » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:03 am

I don't think this is a problem nor does the rest of my team, but we're looking at getting 2 or so 50 kOhm, 225 W or 175 W resistors since we couldn't find any fitting the bill at 100 kOhm, but is there a problem with putting 2-225 W resistors in series? Just wondering about the overall power rating, but like I said, we just think the main thing to look at is the resistance; I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
Lee Hall

Re: VA Tech fusor team visit

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:52 pm

The only issue with them in series is they are big and bulky, so you probably need to figure out a way to support them to do that. That's where it gets a little tricky -- can't use plastic, or at least not near the resistors, it'll melt. You might make a plastic base to hold them, but then use wood for the R's to rest on (at just a couple of points). At least if you get it too hot, you get some warning that way.

Power rating of two is twice one (assuming they are the same R and so split up the dissipation evenly).

100k might be on the small side for a new system break-in -- you'll have to be extra careful, and hope that the peak current won't still trip the arc detector in the supply -- and shut you right back down. I don't have the info on your spellman on how big the R has to just eliminate the arc trip sense, but it's probably in the couple hundred K range.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Previous

Return to Announce yourself