Directions to C-Lab

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Directions to C-Lab

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:48 pm

I wind up compiling, typing and giving out directions to here fairly often, so I figured out it might be easiest to do that once, here instead. So, here's how to get to C-Lab (Doug's place) once you get in the neighborhood.
Address is
297 Reed Hill Rd NW,
Floyd, VA 24091
763-3253

The main road into Floyd, from our POV is route 8. I'll assume you're coming towards Floyd from either Cburg, Bburg, or rt 81. So, head towards Floyd on Rt 8. Partway there, you'll pass through the little town of Riner, which is where I zeroed my odometer for this. I frequent Riner Food Center (hint, try the turkey and bacon sub with onions, green peppers, lettuce, mayo, mushrooms and pepperoni -- it's really good). And here's what it looks like from the parking lot, you'd see it on your right coming down route 8.
RFC2.jpg
Riner Food Center -- zero odometer

Don't forget to zero the OD-- your mileage may vary, but a couple of the turns are hard to find without knowing when to look.
Continue down Rt 8 till you see the bridge to Floyd, at 4.8 miles, shown below. It's the only concrete on Rt 8.
Bridge.jpg
Bridge landmark, ignore signs on how far it is to *town* of Floyd, I'm way before that.

When your OD says 6.1, you should see route 750 (also called Alum Ridge road) which only goes off to the right, turn on that.
750.jpg
Turn off 8 on this road, 750

You'll go around five miles on this (fun views and twists and turns) until you see this (below) which is 740, or White Rock road. Note it doglegs where it crosses 750, and you want to turn right (and up and back) here. At this point my OD said 11.3
740.jpg
740, hard to see if you're not paying attention.

Go on this road (also some nice views and some steep down hills) till the OD says 14.7, and turn right at the pine tree shown below. That's my road. This is also the plan B place to park, at the church if the roads are icy and you don't want to try my little hill with the ditch and cliff on either side of the turn. Let me know and I can meet you up there and bring you on down.
739.jpg
739, Reed Hill Rd

Go about 1/4 mile till OD says 15.0, and you're here, I'm on the left in the barn type building with the solar panels. The one just past me is my old home, also with panels. After that, you'd go down Reed hill, not to be tried without 4wd (or pretty good skill, torque and tires), they named it after the hill for a reason.
Clab.jpg
Here's where I hang out

I give the rt numbers as those are pretty well labeled and consistent. In Floyd, the names are known to change along the length of the same road, so beware. Also beware -- 739 (or something labeled that) also crosses 750 part way to 740 -- don't do that, it's not a fun way to get here, and requires turning at an unmarked "T" in the road to stay on the way to me. That's Floyd for you.
In that case, you have to notice that as you go across the top of this Tee -- instead of going straight, you have to turn down a leg to stay on the same road! (so don't do this).
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Announce yourself