Hello from Eastern Kansas!

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Hello from Eastern Kansas!

Postby Zachary Green » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:43 pm

Thank you for letting me in! I saw Doug video on YouTube and it absolutely fascinated me. I'm just an engineering nut and I work on airplanes for a living so engineering and mechanics are a strong suit for me. Look forward to sharing some knowledge with everybody!
Zachary Green

Re: Hello from Eastern Kansas!

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:43 pm

Welcome! I believe that there are some aviators here who drop in from time to time, perhaps we can get a shout out from some of them...
Looking forward to some good conversations and projects!
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Hello from Eastern Kansas!

Postby Doug Coulter » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:35 am

I'm feeling a bit mischievous and will drop this in here (rather than the data section) for fun, just to see who is paying attention.
H/T "Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles", an excellent YT channel.
This guy is heavy on facts. He's good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KahHLtYlveQ

Well, I tried to attach this, it's one of those "the book "documents on things with wings...but the board host is being crappy this AM, so here's the link. Worth it. I'll try to get the thing uploaded when they're in a better operational state (before we migrate to self hosting, this is getting ridiculous - almost daily failures on their hosts, and it's not like I don't pay bills on this).
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... 80t-80.pdf

The board is being really sh*tty to me this AM, even when I log in as "god", and not letting me upload this doc, which is public domain, and so on. It's kicking me off after making me wait, logging me out.
Donovan!!!!! HEP ME! We need to migrate to another host with some discussion on how to get there from here. There are issues of PHP version and how we'd migrate even on this host (which ain't happenin, too many screwups there). I may be able to host here from March, assuming continued life and that fiber makes it here as promised, but that's not alternative #1 at the moment.

At any rate, I did manage to upload the doc via FTP to one of our "secret" areas, and here's our link to it, it's worth keeping around for people who want to learn stuff. Especially the sorts of stuff that was learned at high cost in hemoglobin.
http://www.coultersmithing.com/data/Dat ... e/AFNA.pdf

This ISP host has gone from a hungry overachiever to oversubscribed ... crap (not mentioning what country it's coming from now), and we need to move soon. They're dropping support for this version of PHP (which isn't a stupid idea) but...we have what we have, and they provide no way to put a a parallel board up for testing while conversion happens and so on. You know the issues.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Announce yourself