Hello from PA

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Hello from PA

Postby Nick Lockwood » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Hello everyone, thank you for accepting me into this forum! I am a IT guy by trade, but I have an interest in really almost anything. I work as an IT guy for a University here in PA where I do pretty much anything IT related. Mostly it is Database and Website work, but probably around 25% of my time is spent programming various things the University wants. I am taking a lot of college credits to further my education, I finish up my BS in Cyber Security in march and will have a second Associates around then as well in Criminal Justice, with my first being in IT. Then onto my MS in IT management with a concentration in Cyber Security. But that's enough about me, I hope to learn some pretty cool stuff on here!
Nick Lockwood

Re: Hello from PA

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm

And, unlike virtually everyone else who has tried to join in the last few days, you can obviously read! Holy crap, a real human being with skills who isn't afraid to use them!
I may want to lean on you for help in what I'm doing. It's not that I can't do any one thing but...
If you look at the crazy "it just grew" fusor remote control system, well...it could have been better in a lot of ways with more eyes on the design.
I'm not the world's greatest sysadmin, it's not my mindset.
For example, thanks to DaveK and some expensive books for helping me set up MySQL replication from a raspberry pi running wheezy and an intel running mate... so that if the pi goes up in smoke (likely due where it is) - I don't lose data up to that instant, and I did before or that project would likely be done already - once burned, twice...more careful.

Sounds like you might be one we mark for full member pretty quick.
Welcome to the nuthouse.

As far as software goes, I've been singing to myself in the shower for all too long.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Announce yourself