Hello From Fusor.net

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Hello From Fusor.net

Postby Bob Reite » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:05 pm

I'm the same Bob Reite that is on fusor.net. I've been into electronics since the 4th grade when I built a crystal set and got hooked. I can't get enough of it it seems, I take care of radio broadcast stations for my day job and am on ham radio (mostly 75 meters) at night. I had been thinking about building a fusor since first seeing an article in the Analog science fiction magazine "fact" section a few years ago. I finally did it when Mark Suppes gave up his quest and was selling off his vacuum equipment for a good price. My first neutrons were created on September 14, 2015. I have been experimenting with other electrode configurations since.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Bob Reite

Re: Hello From Fusor.net

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:49 pm

Welcome to the pros, Bob.
We have been doing much the same here, but have sort of settled on something that seems to work the best of the things we've tried, and which satisfies the "it makes sense" feeling.
That would be an accurately built cylindrical grid (one end open) in a cylindrical sidearm of our big tank, in our case. Every time we get to better build accuracy out output and Q seem to go up.
This is interesting because even on a visible light wavelength level, the best we make might as well be a funhouse mirror - at the shorter De Broglie wavelengths of the stuff in a fusor - ridiculous, but it seems better is still better.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Hello From Fusor.net

Postby Paul Schatzkin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Mark Suppes... there's a name we don't hear much any more...

--P
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it's 50 years in the past and we missed it."
Paul Schatzkin

Return to Announce yourself