My tapping machine

Tricks of the trade

My tapping machine

Postby George Dowell » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:40 pm

I like to tap holes.

A while back I ran into a floating tap holder chuck which was a replacement part or option for an AEG drill of some kind.

Model # ROHM GBF 1-10 1/32-3/8. Made in West Germany.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4645387.pdf

A floating chuck is not fixed axially like a regular drill chuck, but will find the pilot hole even if misaligned In
trade terms a full blown tap holder has "Radial parallel float compensates for misalignment between hole and tap."

This one is not full blown but I love it nonetheless. Enough to build a machine around it.

it started out as a decent but not great Craftsman drill press with a deep throat and long stand. A model was chosen that had a Morse Taper #2 spindle so all my lathe tools will also fit interchangeably.

The Sears chuck was immediately removed and gotten rid of, replaced by my favorite Albrecht 1/2" keyless chuck with MT2 plug.
Next the electric motor was removed and gotten rid of. Replaced with a ball bearing 1 HP reversible AC motor ( DC would have been the first choice but no joy).

Next the electrical wiring and switches were removed, replaced by a home made relay forward/reverse control with a dual foot switch.
This was a must do as the tapping attachment is not the reversible type you often see in this role (Tapmatic etc.)
Attachments
type123-30t.jpg
type123-30t.jpg (5.18 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
Tap Chuck.jpg
Tapping Chuck (Adjustable ball drive/float)
Drillroom1.jpg
Drill/Tapping Machine
Last edited by George Dowell on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
George Dowell

Re: My tapping machine

Postby Jerry » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:35 am

I did something like that to my dads drill press years and years ago. Replaced the motor with a 90v PM motor. Since then I gave him a 2hp three phase drill press thats running off a RPC. It has a single foot pedal. In drill mode it starts the drill press. In tap mode the spindle runs in reverse and when you press on the foot pedal it runs forward. So tapping is easy. Push down on the pedal, tap through, release the pedal and it unscrews.

I have been thinking of replicating this on my little drill press. Replace the motor with one of the brushless AC servos I have lying around that are only velocity analog input. This would give me fully adjustable speed control with full torque down to zero speed and instant reverse.
Jerry

Return to Shop tips and kinks