Positive PCB developer

For photolith

Positive PCB developer

Postby Doug Coulter » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:32 am

I came across this formula on the web. The originator says it is far better than the sodium hydroxide developer, and claims that it cures some of the problems it has, which he correctly describes, I've had the same ones. So this is untried as yet, but since I have all the stuff...next time I run boards, I'll try it.

Thanks to Robin Moorshead for the following procedure to make silicate developer solution:
Take 200cc of "water glass", add 800cc of distilled water and stir. To this add 400g of sodium hydroxide (caustic soda).
Important safety precautions: The sodium hydroxide solid must NEVER be handled, use disposable gloves. When the sodium hydroxide dissolves in water it produces a great deal of heat so it must be added a little at a time and each portion allowed to dissolve before more is added. If the solution becomes very hot leave it to cool before adding more sodium hydroxide.
The solution is VERY caustic and it is particularly damaging to the eyes, use eye protection when making and handling it.
It also ruins clothing. Water glass is also known as "sodium silicate solution" and "egg preserver", It used in fire proofing fabrics, for waterproofing walls and making "chemical gardens". Caustic soda is used for clearing drains and available from any chemist. The solution cannot be made by dissolving solid sodium silicate.
This solution will be the same strength as the concentrate, and so will need diluting - about 1 part concentrate to 4 to 8 parts water, depending on the photoresist used and temperature.

Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to PCBs and photolithography