Ancient but cool audio editor

For PC type software that runs under some PC opsys.

Ancient but cool audio editor

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:14 pm

This is the code that if anything, "made" my career. Nah, I'm not proud of it, just wrote a book about it to eat while the world discovered it and subsequently beat a path to my door - and made C-Lab, my company, a thriving concern - all those years back (the 90's) and I retired and am still living off that money....

http://www.coultersmithing.com/data/WavEdPro.zip

Couldn't upload this directly, it's 36 MB or so.

It was written in the days of windows 9x, though there's an NT driver for our hardware in there too - it may or may not work with mmsystem hardware from back in the day with windows 9x, but it did without ours. Would handle 38 channels at a time in a 486 and at the time was the only full duplex editor out there, especially considering features (Creative labs was busy creating half duplex 8 bit cards that didn't even do twos-compliment).
We had multi threading - 3 - one for gui, one for processing, one for playback and record. No semaphores needed, but there were some homebrew places where a boolean counted (yes!, and they say C++ is strongly typed) the number of threads that might need to write on something. If (bcount > TRUE) was one of our in-jokes.

For devstudio 6 if anyone still has a copy. I just found this old thing rooting around cleaning up my files - I have a terabyte to organize, and this was too nice to just hit the delete key.
Borrow anything you want from there - there's everything from ray-traced 3d reverb simulations with moving sources and microphones to simple filters, an IIR filter designer (this is not a common thing, we used a genetic algo machine learning thing - back in the early 90's...to solve nonlinear differential equations in reverse...), you name it, it's in there...
Too bad our TMS320C31 DSP computer card needs an ISA slot - it's still pretty potent and would handle 38 CD quality channels at a time (for processing, just two a/d and d/a channels at a time).

This is all copyleft, just thought I'd put it up here for posterity. Some good stuff, it's decent code as I review a little and remember a lot. Don't buy the book, it stinks as a book other than to explain this code, and about 3 publishers ago they stopped even lying to me about sales and royalties - Frank Zappa (and Joe Pie) were right about "hollywood accounting".
No matter, there's still food on my table. He who laughs last and all that. Elsevier who owns it now (I think) still ripping both sides of every deal off. We need to put them in a room with Oracle or something.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to PC