GUI utility for machining speeds

For PC type software that runs under some PC opsys.

GUI utility for machining speeds

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:53 pm

In my usual perlish fashion. All you need is speeds.pl but I put the .glade file in the archive as well. My system for perl GUI's lets you put the Glade GUI interface spec right in the perl, or use an external file, which latter is handy while developing. But when it's time to ship it, it's nice to have it all in the perl file, which is how this release is. I might put this up on my github if I can be bothered to re-learn how to do that...
Something up there already that will be useful if you want to run any of my perl GUI stuff is this: https://github.com/dcfusor/Perl_GUI
At least the last time I checked, the necessary dependencies for the perl GTK interface module weren't trivial to get in there - due to (re)naming conventions in apt repos, such that what's missing isn't named the same as what you have to get to make it all work. The stuff at the github link above just gets all the right stuff put in for ya. Seems to work anywhere linux does - I actually did this on a raspberry pi on a low solar energy day, works fine.
I need an icon for a chip curling off a tool or something - but looking for chip icons gets you a lot of stuff for integrated circuits....

To use this, put in any two of the values, and click the button beside the third one you want to calculate from the other two.
Sample values are already there - you just delete them and type over them.
This was prompted by seeing an $80 calculator bundled with Machinery's handbook to do these calculations. This is a little less expensive, and I do have computers pretty much everywhere.

speeds.png
It looks like this in my dark-themed raspberry pi running the "twister" opsys

Careful surfers might notice that the number for sfm above is wrong...I made the rather embarassing mistake of thinking that the circumference was pi*r, instead of the
obvious pi*d in the first upload this afternoon. I actually woke up in the night thinking...D'oh... it's fixed now.

speeds.tar.gz
fixed version
(3.19 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: GUI utility for machining speeds

Postby Doug Coulter » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:57 am

I have to say...after spending a goodly part of my career writing little GUI programs for windows for telecom gear setup...
A very minimal GUI in windows using MFC42 was some megabytes in size. OF course, you could reduce it somewhat by dynamically linking MFC, similar to what we're doing here
by using system perl and some provided modules - just about any version works for this. This should even work on Windows if you get perl going there...which can be quite a hassle
since perl is NIH to microsoft.

Note the size of the tar file above. This contains the perl program, and an xml file created by Glade that defines the GUI layout and properties - essentially twice, as the same content has been pasted into the perl script itself to remove the dependency on finding that file somewhere in your system. I just provide it separately as well to make it easy to open up in Glade and see what's going on or edit it to taste.

sizes.png
Small, despite wordy xml GUI definitions
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to PC