Script for installing NGINX, FastCgi etc in Mate 18.2

For PC type software that runs under some PC opsys.

Script for installing NGINX, FastCgi etc in Mate 18.2

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Yup, and like it mentions elsewhere on this site, it's a real pain to do this by hand, there are differences over time an machine...and so on.
For example, the old instructions to install php5-whatever are now wrong - the repositories for Mint now just use php-whatever and get the latest version, but can't find php5-.
Seems like it's always something.
So this one works for a brandy new Mint/Mate 18.2 install after doing the usual immediate updates it wants to do - and I went to the latest supported kernel (4.11.0.-14) as well, which shouldn't matter here, but documentation is documentation.
nginxinst.tar.gz
put this in your user/bin and extract, then run the .sh file from the directory it lands in.
(8.18 KiB) Downloaded 186 times

I recently had to build a machine from scratch again....this stank, I'd backed up all my data in various places, no problem, but some of this interlocking linux install junk...not so much, and it's a real pain to do all over again. This time, scripts (for next time).
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Script for installing NGINX, FastCgi etc in Mate 18.2

Postby Bob Reite » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:01 am

You really don't want php 5.x Unless the machine is NEVER going to be connected to the Internet. Yeah, you have to rewrite some code if you migrate to php 7
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Bob Reite

Re: Script for installing NGINX, FastCgi etc in Mate 18.2

Postby Doug Coulter » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:41 am

I was going by the tutorial video and notes we have up here that does work for raspberry pis, and while I haven't checked lately, they had php5 only. It seems like Ubuntu and therefore the other distros based on it changed how php shows up in synaptic or apt get to just remove the version number and that gives you their approved one, which happens to be 7 at present.
I don't actually care too much about security inside my LAN - I have a really good setup to block the outside world - but I really only use PHP at all for raspi cameras and if someoe hacks one of them, well, I don't care much unless they can figure out how to use that as a vector into something else - which is going to most likely be turned off a huge portion of the time -

For example, for financial stuff I have a dedicated machine I only turn on to move money around, then turn off - I don't use it for anything else, and it's the only place my authentication for that exists too. That's a pretty narrow window for hacking.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to PC