Putting the newer arduino IDE on a pi

For stand-alone microprocessors

Putting the newer arduino IDE on a pi

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun May 17, 2015 10:19 am

Once again showing that there's no absolutely correct way to categorize things...I hate the equivalent of drop down lists, or simple trees, as this board is organized (if you can call it that). But here goes.
The current version of the arduino IDE for the pi is 1. Later versions use an external version of gcc-avr and so on, and work better in general (JRE 7 doesn't hurt either - upgrade that if you can first).
While dependent on this link, and as we know, links can go dead and this is already out of date by one minor version, this does work here.
https://nicohood.wordpress.com/2015/01/ ... pberry-pi/

Or as a link.

One mistake I made is to keep the old version till I had done this, then use synaptic to remove it. (Stupidly thinking "safety first" on what is a crash and burn system anyway) Well, they share things like menu entries and icons, so there was a bit of a scramble to restore those manually after doing that...
I guess the word is "don't do it that way". I have only so many pi's to try this on, and it's not my main mission anyway, but it does work on the model 2 quite nicely - runs faster, makes tighter arduino code, and doesn't have some of the sizing bugs the original had.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Embedded software