Arduino uno for lan of things sketch

For stand-alone microprocessors

Arduino uno for lan of things sketch

Postby Doug Coulter » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:10 pm

I just finished this (I hope, you know how it is). This is the code for the arduino uno slave to a pi for my "lan of things" over in the next building. It connects to 3 DHT-22 temp/humid sensors, one thermocouple breakout, two counters (water flow in and out), will drive two fets for water valves, and does water level detection in my cistern. I tried to comment the code as to how to hook things up and how to interpret them. I did a comm protocol that is super-simple and allows for multiple uno's (or whatever async serial) devices out there.
First character is the unit ID, which is hardcoded in the unit - I don't need hotplug etc.
Second is command. The protocol is "speak only when spoken to" so wired-or on the lines works out.
For example, to get a report out of unit 1 (this one) you say: 1r<lf>
It will then dump all the current readings. If it takes too long going either way, everyone times out and goes back to state zero - you just try again.
The commands are:
1a (send ack<lf> to the host
1l (led on)
1o (led off)
1r (report)
1i (let water in)
1d (dump water)
1c (close all valves)
! (reset)

And that's all. All commands and responses end with <lf> or <cr><lf> - the code ignores <cr>.
This allows some pretty simple perl on the pi, using its hardware uart and a driver that drives all the uno's you can want (even can power them up it's so strong, which is actually dangerous).
Unos use a 2 transistor buffer with open collector and a pullup to go back to the host, in this case a pi.

Here's the uno side of things:
ArdT1.tar.bz2
The uno sketch
(5.3 KiB) Downloaded 312 times

And here's some simple pi perl to look at it all:
ardtest.bz2
For the pi or pc (you'll need the Device::SerialPort module)
(1.05 KiB) Downloaded 300 times

Right now, it just prints out all the numbers - water level, then the two counters, then 3 temp/humidities, one temp from thermocouple, and the state of the two valve driver outputs. This will soon be going into a mySQL database in the pi, from which gnuplot will make plots and put them on a web page so I can see all this data as plots however far back I ask for on the CGI form....finally.

It should look sort of like this:
2015-03-14-220637_1280x800_scrot.png
Screenshot from the pi

You can see that last temperature number go nuts as I held a flame under the thermocouple. That one is intended to monitor a wood stove, so it couldn't be a silicon type sensor.

The eventual systems will be one per building, each with their own webpage, so I can monitor my campus from any building on it - and control some things via CGI's on those web pages. You could call this a dry run for the remote control of the fusor,
Better to make all the mistakes on things that don't matter as much...
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Embedded software