phpBB

Commercial user software discussion.

Re: phpBB

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:00 pm

Very annoying, as it means the site is down for everybody - and I'm not always checking till the phone rings or I get email...
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Donovan Ready » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:26 pm

Ah. I'll email promptly next time.
Donovan Ready

Postby Donovan Ready » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:45 am

Doug, here's something to check. Board randomly goes offline.

Do you have a session limit or CPU load limit set under the ACP -> Server Configuration -> Load Settings? Mine are all set to zero on both the boards I administer.
Donovan Ready

Postby Doug Coulter » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:04 pm

All zero, just checked. But note the last copyright on this board software is 2007 - I suspect the issue lies there.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Donovan Ready » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:49 pm

It should make a difference only when adding modifications from the developer's site.

Obviously the php and sql versions matter, but this thing just won't run if there's something funny on the back end. Image
Donovan Ready

Postby David Ashley » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:30 pm

Don't you have shell access to the server running the phpbb software? There are probably logs you can view or turn on.

I use http://rimuhosting.com/ and am very happy with their service. On the order of $20/month, you get a virtual linux host with root access, you can install your own packages. Debian package system.

I recall Doug recently talked about how it would be impossible to download the terrabytes of data from the server over your low bitrate link. You can avoid that entirely, keep it on the internet at all times. If you have a login shell through some other hosting service you can ftp from there to grab a copy. Usually ftp lets you append .tar on a directory name and it will feed you a tarfile of the entire directory tree. So you're not using your home network connection at all except to interact with the outside world, issuing commands.
David Ashley

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun May 04, 2014 12:48 pm

I *might* be able to have shell access. We're on Ipower as an ISP and I'm almost embarrassed to tell you the deal I locked in right at the .com bust - I pay around 50 bucks a year, for unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth - forever, guaranteed (guess who was desparate for cash just then?). No reason to move off that, eh? We're running some version of linux (they chose the version) probably on a virtual machine, with Apache/PHPBB/MySQL as far as I can discover. I can read the logs, but I've not done so in the last couple years. They have a lot of GUI type tools on the front end, and I can FTP into the site from here - haven't tried any other way.

Most of our transient errors have to do with the SQL server going away, but it has a strong tendency to come back up on its own in a short time. This "board goes disabled" is the nasty one, since I do have to notice and then manually fix it.

The fear is that while I do program time-deterministic opsys and apps to the highest possible level in uP's (usually so they can feed a PC app, which will never be time-deterministic due to pre-emptive multitasking, but can keep up and write it down on a disk or analyze things - using the uP's timestamps as the PC ones can at best, record when the PC got the data, not when it actually occurred or was measured), the level of all this "big" stuff and the potential complexity of messing with it and screwing up some hidden parameter that has to be right for it to keep working scares me off "just trying stuff" as we have a lot to lose. EG, I'm really a programmer, not a sysadmin, and do as little of that type thing as I can get away with, so I don't know a ton about it on these "higher level" things.
Doug Coulter

Postby David Ashley » Thu May 08, 2014 3:26 pm

Doug Coulter wrote:I *might* be able to have shell access. ...that has to be right for it to keep working scares me off "just trying stuff" as we have a lot to lose. EG, I'm really a programmer, not a sysadmin, and do as little of that type thing as I can get away with, so I don't know a ton about it on these "higher level" things.

Hmmm. Sounds like your status is Hope + Worry...

You'd either have to commit to spending the time to master the knowledge necessary to improve the situation yourself (because you can trust yourself), or you delegate to someone else you trust and who is willing to do it. Clearly you don't want to lose the sweet hosting deal you've got.

I very much suspect you do have shell access, whether or not it's ever been used in the past. Everything starts with knowing that.

I thought some other fellow was going to investigate the phpbb to see if anything obvious was out of place?
David Ashley

Postby Donovan Ready » Thu May 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Not much I can do without admin access to the forum, and Doug doesn't know me well enough. (Besides, I haven't asked him yet. :lol: )
Donovan Ready

Previous

Return to Userland