How to get back to gnome-3 in new linuxes

How to make them do what you want, not to rant on about. Slashdot is better for rants anyway.

How to get back to gnome-3 in new linuxes

Postby Doug Coulter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:38 pm

http://www.howtogeek.com/110052/how-to- ... on-ubuntu/

For those not linux-geeks, it seems gnome, cannonical and so on have caught the stupidity of microsoft (though I think this time gnome might have gone first). You know, no matter what the platform, the opsys has to look like it belongs on an iPad? Metro (win 8), Gnome-3, Unity all this crap. Trust me, they absolutely all stink worse than a run-over skunk on hot pavement on a "real" computer of any kind. They are taking out configurability, don't support multiple monitors, are hard to handle without a touch interface, waste tons of pixels (which you can't configure away any more) and so on. So I got excited when I saw this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/110052/how-to- ... on-ubuntu/

Evidently, enough people were upset by what was going to amount to the complete ruining of linux as a productive desktop and did something about it. I've been getting worried I'd be stuck on cannonical's 10.04 forever, as their new shit - and I use that word after consideration - really sucks. And, it sucks so bad, most of it won't run correctly under a virtual machine manager. So, that's enough strikes, you're out.

I don't need a computer to show me how to explore it when I boot it every damn time. I don't need my desktop filled with garbage icons to run bloatware provided by the distro - but not let me add my own.
I really don't need a non moveable task bar going down the left hand side of my right hand monitor, right in the middle of pixels *I* paid to have for my applications.

But everyone's caught the disease out there. They are saying, well, PC sales are falling, so we gotta get onboard with the next new thing. But iPad sales are dropping off too....maybe PC sales are not doing well simply due to the economy, and the lack of good, familiar, customizable interfaces we all already know how to use? Seems most retail customers buy a new pc to get a new opsys, but what if all the choices suck?
Could that be it? Maybe I like what I have! When I come to the computer in the morning, I already know which apps are going into each of my 4 desktops (two monitors each) and I'd not mind having more pixels under *my* control - no way I want less, and jiggly windows and stuff that I have to go through three levels to find on a menu with only one level visible at a time. That's just lame...

So, I'm going to try this asap. Problem is, the initial install of a new linux won't run on VB...it's that bad. I'm not thrilled by having to sacrifice a machine to try it "on the metal" but the price of a disk drive might not kill me.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Operating systems