Realtek 2.5 gig 8125 driver

How to make them do what you want, not to rant on about. Slashdot is better for rants anyway.

Realtek 2.5 gig 8125 driver

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:59 am

Oh no, Linux isn't compatible with network hardware, that old ghost just won't die!

There are times I wish there was an easy way to teleport posts from my personal PHPBB to here - I have a local one that has all my sysadmin how to's in it, it's a great resource for workarounds on stuff....

At any rate, I can manually copy them now and then.
I'm building a new system, using very new hardware, in this case a gigabyte b550 aorus master mobo (amd ryzen 7 3700x, msi RTX 2060, a tb of nvme, 16 gigs of 3600 dram, woo woo).

This mobo has a newish 2.5 gigabit ethernet NIC on it. Linux doesn't know about that one! A twist is that the wifi on this board is so good, I didn't notice at first.
Isn't one of the non linux users main whines that sometime before most college students were born, the wifi on their cheap crap didn't do linux?

At any rate, there's a driver out there, you have to build it yourself, but it's super easy. Download, extract, read the readme, but just do the supplied script, and linux starts reporting the new connection before the script is even finished.
I did put in build-essential, because I always do anyway, and since this needs built...seemed obvious. Putting in the requested linux source tree wasn't actually required and I didn't.

Here's the magic link: https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zo ... s-software

Here's a copy just in case.
r8125-9.003.05.tar.bz2
This worked for me
(67.31 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Operating systems