The next step

Yours and mine. This is where you can gas on about how you think the universe works. To a point, after that we'll expect you to actually test your stuff and report.

The next step

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:53 am

OK, so I've finally seen what kinda looks like bunching, and some sort of transit-time measurements on the big machine at a couple sets of speeds and feeds. BUT!
After normalizing the faraday probes to c - in other words, calibrating out the time delay on the capacity coupling from the speed of light - I measured times that "don't make sense".
They are way slower than c, but way, way, faster than anything in there should be going with a mere 50kv or so energy on it. The signals are far louder than the capacity coupling, so that's not shifting the phase of what I see much. (Note to self, go back and get the numbers...and put them here, but I've already analyzed them in speed-volt code...).

I'm having to assume that rather than ballistics - we are seeing some sort of polarization wave in the mix of ions and neutrals in there. And it's a mix containing largely neutrals, as I proved another way - by really ionizing the bulk of the tank with RF feed, the conductivity of the result is such that you'd see around 500 ohms to ground on the main grid. For reference, when acting as a normal fusor, ion source or not - it's around 750,000 ohms load. That's not a small percentage change...

I theorized that since ion traps / quadrupole mass spectrometers are run just outside the predicted region of stability to provide narrow spectral lines (even rejecting some of what you were tuned for - aperture is the word they overload for that) - we could perhaps move toward the area in the middle of a stability region the math predicts.

Should be obvious that with a bunch of neutrals and collisions, things won't work like that. Add in some more ions (and we have both charges of them, a couple e/m ratios, and that's not even counting the electrons) and at some point things are going to smear out so badly they can't be controlled at all with varying field gradients we can actually produce - and certainly it's not going to be easy to predict. But there is still hope that we can find a set of conditions that will work.

The trouble is, that set of conditions may not even be on the plot of the Mathieu stability overlap regions...it may be shifted and broadened so much that the prediction of that math is just plain "not on the real paper" for us. And jumping from the limit of where that math does work - say something a little under 1e-4 mbar (optimistically! Really it's getting crappy at 1/10th that) directly to the normal fusor type operating conditions, for a decent center value - 2e-2 millibar, or 200 times where a mass spec fails...was a "well, why not try it" but it seems, doomed to failure - it's just too large a leap.

Well then, I've done enough of this and that to know that when this kind of thing happens, you drop back to baby steps - they are sometimes the quickest way, and really do beat "running of in all directions" when the going gets tough.

So, it's time to get down in the mud, temporarily forget about neutrons etc, and just map out the turf - what shifts, and how much, as a function of pressure and how much percentage of what's there is ionized (and what mixed flavor of them we have). So, being somewhat a creature of logic and actually wanting to solve this one...here we go down another road that right now looks more promising.

My earliest work was with a smaller pumping station, and I'd built up a fair amount of stuff to hang on it. Rather than disturb the main setup, which otherwise is good, no obvious flaws, by taking it down repeatedly and losing purity - out-gassing is a bear - I'm going to move to the smaller one again, and have been cleaning up and getting it operational again. I've had a couple of different chambers on it, and right now am figuring out what's going to be the best test mule for this set of experimentation and learning. The little 2,75" cross is what I have a ton of parts for, the there's this "ship in a bottle" aspect of working with it much, as well as the tank walls being close in are going to affect the fields I want to apply, so it's not cast in stone yet.

But at least so far, I have large parts of the bench visible, and after 24 hours or so of outgassing just the blanked-off pumping station and gage, it's back to normal (for it) at around 6e-7 millibar, which will be plenty good enough if I can hold it under a few e-6 as a baseline. As any vacuum experienced person knows, surface area is the enemy fortification, and water is the enemy. We'll see what I can get - half of this was QF and that "leaks" water a bit....

Anyway, it looks like this now -
20190703-0956-SmallVac-1.jpg
The cross is sitting down on the bench. Lots of adapters and goodies on there, gas inlet valves, feedthroughs, window, wiggle stick...but no room in there!

Everyone needs real tube type opamps, shelves full of exotic materials, and a feather boa in their lab, right?
20190703-0956-SmallVac-2.jpg
The upstairs station

Guess I'm going to have to spin up some more and somewhat different data aq and control stuff, but with all the experience and spares from the other setup, shouldn't be any sort of roadblock to do.
Now we want to measure some different stuff, so a new setup is called for - the old hardware is so tied into the other system there'd be no point trying to move it anyway. Here I don't expect quite the possible electromagnetic violence that forced the other setup to need fiber optic isolation either. Even wifi from a newer pi might do...The database server is already setup elsewhere (and in a safer spot) on the network here, and works great - adding another database is not a big deal.

At least I have a plan now. The pause in fusor operations and posting to play with other stuff was to let a plan form on one of my internal back burners....it's a good technique when you can't just force it because of that whole tree-forest and inside/outside the box stuff. As Paul DiLascia used to say on MSJ - when I run into a wall programming, I just go mow the lawn, and the answer comes to me.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: The next step

Postby johnf » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:22 pm

Doug
I presume you are familiar with
http://www.fusor.net/board/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MLFN8F ... e=youtu.be

Joe is getting good results in a CF dross
johnf

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:46 pm

Had me nervous for a second, but I believe I'm going somewhat better than that - my curve is steeper with volts than his I believe as well, but I don't go past 50kv.
Shape is about the same, though - it's concave going up, like a power law. We all want *someone* to get it! Looks like he's doing some nice data acq and realtime plotting too. Good, I hope everyone starts doing that.

(I don't read fusor.net these days, I don't want to get distracted is all, no bad feelings I'm aware of - people like you and Bill tell me if I missed something)

Too bad higher voltages are dam difficult to deal with in air (or at all past a point) - wonder if anyone's done the extrapolation to the net reaction rate at say, 3.5 Mev (heh, if you get 100% you don't break even).

One of the most frustrating parts of this is that every curve I plot is going up as it goes "off the paper" due to whatever physical limitation applies. No peaks, just hints that "go this way" is the way, maybe.

What I'll be doing in the small one is some basic work to plot out that mysterious area between ballistic flow and viscous that isn't solved even for neutrals, much less our mix, with the hope of being able to extend that to the big tank. I've already talked to people with skills and access to real supercomputers, and what I'm investigating they say is a huge 'nope, heat death of the universe" class problem - anyone who doesn't say that seems to have left out something real important that actually does matter in real life. It's one thing to say "after some Reynolds number we have turbulence" but quite another to tell you what the result looks like. Now do that for the intermediate products of say, combustion (another one done with computer help but also empirical in the end).

They said more or less "go lab, young man". So here I am.

FWIW, I've been finding that a bigger tank to grid size ratio give me better Q. You saw a 1" grid here - going to 3/4 more than doubled it. I'm now making 1/2" ones and that includes one to put out in the big part of the tank. But that's a separate path for a different rainy day - I go back and forth as inspiration strikes (and stop when I don't have any).

I've noticed rather large neutron production off my "ion grid" which is a short 3/4" diameter 3/4" long 4 rod affair never meant to make any, just ionize gas at lower pressures since it sees a longer length in the Paschen law sense. If (and it's a fairly big if) I extrapolate correctly it's going gangbusters at only 25kv or so and 2ma!
It's producing counts on the fairly distant hornyak detector (which is what I'm extrapolating from, using inverse square law), and also showing up on the really distant 3He detector, but I've not been counting that with my data aq (my bad), so I can't verify much that way.

I'm not expecting fusion per se from the little setup, just exploring ion traps that work in a dense enough atmosphere to have lots of collisions, and what kinda works there - how is the basic math for your usual high vacuum trap modified and messed up by more stuff of all sorts. It'll be an easier place to do that set of tests. Once I have some predictability, I can move back to the big guy. Until then, winding new coils for each octave to test is a lot of work and wear and tear on expensive bypass caps that fry in kickback if there's an arc in some new untested isolation transformer (Eg the output from the RF driver).
I can't keep up with > $100/run up in smoke!

Nor should I, this isn't a shotgun problem, it's surgery, or at least so I think. If it takes half a megavolt to get to a decent rate, then it's not worth doing, frankly.

Right now, all fusors are SO BAD you might as well theorize that what little we see (there's actually some evidence to back this up) is due to rare negative ion production and then having them slam the tank walls. Tyler Christenson showed a bubble detector that at least proved localized if not beaming neutron production. The math says it has to be the former, which would mean at the tank walls where his detector was. My own runs, one or two of which you saw, show that when the tank walls get hot, fusion goes down - even with fresh gas. Hmmm...
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:24 am

As the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy points out - the one thing humans cannot survive is a sense of perspective....so here's a couple of screenshots from a Phillips vacuum tube book from sometime in the 50's (I once put the whole thing online, but can't find it now).
BoreholdTube.png
Old design for compact sealed off neutron generator (borehole tube). Beam on target.

BorholeYield.png
Note millions neutrons per microamp kinds of output

So, we only have factor 1000 or so go get up to the Q levels generated by simple 1950's tech... ;)

I do note that this plot doesn't show the "power law" kind of curve that ours do. Maybe if it could extend low enough to show our Q levels it's only curved down there, or something else completely different and interesting is going on with our setups?

Ah, found it in the old library: http://www.coultersmithing.com/data/DataSheets/Neon/
This is from Pch8.pdf contained there (along with some nice other stuff).
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:44 pm

I've been getting some questions as to what I'm trying to do and how I'm approaching it, and putting the answers in, say, a youtube comment section or some social media is becoming tiring, so I though to just put the generic answer here and link back to it in future. I'm not complaining about questions, more the opposite - but coming up with a descriptive answer over and over is just silly when I could put it here.

The very basis of "why" is that I believe we did have this anomalous output on a few occaisions, which is an "existance proof", and therefore it's possible that they exist - so the real problem is "OK, then how does that work?" and of course "How can I do that better, and on demand?". Yes, we've replicated the anomalous output or something really close on a few occasions, always a little different to the extent we were able to measure anything before the gear we use to measure things in the normal case is crashed or ruined by "too much success". And in fact, there seems to be good reason to believe that other reports of super high output that were difficult to replicate might also be true. But it's a case of...Farnsworth was busy inventing things like TV and didn't have the data aq we have, for just one example, and the "no one expects the Spanish Inquisition" effect for another. It's real hard to design and test data aq gear for conditions you can mainly only speculate about, and rarely have in order to test your stuff. At least on our resources. Now that I kind of have a feel, yeah, the next setup will be better. Better enough is an open question, and must be for now.
the important point here is that knowing there's a prize at the end of the rainbow makes it a lot easier to keep chasing it than otherwise. A historic example might be the speed with which the Soviets manage to dupe the atomic bomb (and all the pieces leading up to it!) - far faster than our "experts" thought possible, and yes, even in the presence of some espionage. Knowing the game is worth the candle is a powerful motivator.

What I know is that some various impedances - parasitic or intentional tuned circuits, in the power, which cause kick back and ringdown (which isn't an ideal damped sine decay as the load isn't a resistor or even close) are always present when the good stuff happens. And it happens in a range of those parasitics. One case was even pretty close to what an experienced RF engineer would guesstimate was present in for example, Farnsworth's setup. He didn't have good data aq, and mine fried....but OK, now that a little is known about what's being looked for, and under what conditions, the next and subsequent times are going to be better. The fact that this happens in a range of condtions is completely consonant with some existing math.

I am assuming, because anything else would be somewhere between insane and stupid, that all this is following the standard model, or close enough. Any deviation in that large enough to cause or allow what I saw would have been noticed repeatedly in the early part of the previous century. There is only one reasonable model I can come up with that fits, though that might be a limitation of my own brain. Any other input that works with all the observations is welcome (See, Feynman test).

I've likened the issues to solving the 3 body gravitational problem feedforward, but it's by far worse than that in actuality. And I will acknowledge it's not the best analogy (if there is a best one) since the 3 body problem has been solved for a couple special cases. Our case is a bit different and more difficult. Given a few types of bodies, with varying values of G (and both polarities!) interacting, with the need to also account for what might be called collisions (or at least scattering, not always elastic), recombination, charge exchange between ions and neutrals and probably a few I haven't typed yet -

Tell me the initial conditions and applied fields vs time in what shape apparatus will cause all the relevant particles to come together at some focus pretty much all at once, and after a pass which scatters a lot of them, without losing much energy, repeat that cycle until fusion (the ultimate inelastic scattering) happens to enough of them that we have gain.

Makes the 3 body problem look pretty trivial - all that requires is telling me the future state of a system with all the initial conditions known.
If that were easy, than instead of putting in the setup for say, carbon arranged like so - and finding out the properties of say, a diamond, we could simply ask the standard model to tell us how to make something clear that was very hard...but nope, this is a generally unsolved problem (and there's a one to many to one mapping there on top).

Here we have very roughly (using for example 3 for pi and 22 liters/mole) 3 x 1018 particles at our nominal 2 10-2 millibar.
We have (at least) electrons with their e/m ratio, D+ ions, D2, D2+, and assorted other junk. Given the numbers we get, it could even be the rare D- ions doing all the fusion by being accelerated in to the tank walls and hitting adsorbed neutral molecules!

As luck would have it, we do have some math for a very special case - the case where there are so few ions they don't "see" each other very much (at least don't deflect each other on centimeter scales enough to hit the tank walls often - we need of course far closer proximity). In that special case, only e/m, some sizes and shapes, "low enough" pressure matter much to the field required for both containment and driven motion withing that containment. This math is that for the basic mass spectrometer- the Mathieu math. We know that if you build an apparatus with such and such a shape (many work, and the classic hyperbolic or quadrupole shapes are more ideal, but not required for basic function) you can trap ions, and whether you like it much or not, it's going to be somewhat e/m selective. Further, some setups have what is called in the art "aperture" or the ability to capture and normalize the motions of things not in perfect sync at the start.
Here's a search term for google: Mathieu equation quadrupole which will get you going. I'm using a very nice tome that BillF bought us, "Quadrupole Mass Spectrometry and its Applications", edited by Peter H. Dawson, ISBN 1-56396-455-4. Highly recommended to help understand the most basic issues.

However, most all work on things like this has been directed to the best sensitivity, and resolution. While related, our problem lives at another end of some scales. We don't need sensitivity to only a few particles - we want the opposite - density as high as we can have it without losing control due to random scattering. We don't want resolution and don't need it much either - we just want to work with D+, and the rest can go into the vacuum pump for all we care. For our purposes, the "simple" engineering required to reprocess the fuel and recycle it is not worth worrying about until the rest works.

The basic math for ideal conditions has various overlaps where things can works - for a mass spectrometer, that operating point is usually chosen just off the edge of stability. No one cares of a particle is lost after 6 cycles of orbit if it's going into a detector in 5, for example. And you get better resolution doing that. But that's not what we want - but luckily (but only for the ideal case), the math does show that we can operate smack dab in the middle of stability too. It's just that for the mass spec app, no one does it.

Now, the conditions described by that simple(!) math aren't the ones we want here. We want lots of particles. Not only will they affect one another's trajectories via the Coloumb forces, they'll often scatter off one another, or even background neutrals, as the density get higher near some periodic focus. The periodic is assumed as there's no currently feasible way to fire a bunch of ions at another bunch with enough sniper like accuracy to get reasonable amounts of them to fuse in one pass. Another condition we want is to recover the energy of the ones that didn't fuse for another go around. Further along those lines, in case of scattering knocking things off course (or out of a phase diagram) - we'd like to recapture them for the next roundy-round.

The driven recirculation is possible and has been done plenty of times for the few-particle case. The recovery of scattered particles has been kind of done for the "some more" particles case.
So that's more engineering than science, so far.

It's evident at least to me, that the basic math needs more terms, but the shapes and values of them is not so obvious, at least if we don't want to just throw up our hands and say this isn't possible. Because, hey, I know it is - that existence-proof thing. Even if the terms are basically describing stochastic phenomena, quantifying them is helpful.

Even for uncharged molecules, the best math has a discontinuity between what's called ballistic flow and molecular flow. Vacuum system design doesn't care much, and simply draws a line on the plot between where one stops working and the other (hydrodynamic) starts, and calls it good enough. But it's not good enough for this. And we have a far more complex setup with charges and those forces, and at times, we hope, insanely higher density - getting nuclei to come close enough together and linger long enough, often enough for a significant fraction of them to tunnel into fusion via the strong force which we otherwise have no control over - we're just banging the rocks together...(HHGTTG).

So this is why I'm building an apparatus that can work "at all" from fairly hard vacuum on up. The plan is to start where the existing math works, and perhaps adjust the geometry of our trap/lensing system a bit based on what we see there. But then - and only then - we'll be equipped to start pushing into the density or base pressure levels we know we're going to need to make this work with a non-infinite effective compression ratio (I'm using that term loosely here, as in our world, motions are hopefully more coherent than a thermalized system - and nope, the temperature of a bullet had little effect on that target. In our case, cool is better most likely.).

The hope is that once we see what minor perturbations to the math look like, we can guess and verify some of that extra stuff we know is needed. We kind of need the equivalent of things like Reynolds number and much beyond. Knowing there's turbulence is a long way from knowing about a wingtip vortex or predicting a contrail (not the best analogy but..).

To add...
A reason I think I'm beginning to understand (uh oh, dangerous words) is that what math we do have - which almost kind of works at this pressure - says that the overlap region can be large for a limited amount of trapping and recirculating. There is the complicated addition of scattering, and the issue that during a kickback and ringdown, the impedance of the fusor isn't a resistance. In fact, one big feature is that the instant the grid tries to go positive in ringing, the tank acts like a diode, clipping most of that off the waveform - it seems all the free electrons want to go to the grid. This more or less instantly changes the composition of what is present - at least for a little while. You can't have huge charge separation in this setup, because at some point the resulting particle-charged-induced field becomes strong enough to simply yank electrons off the tank walls - this is a problem they have at CERN at similar beam currents.
Looking at the math, getting close enough for things to work as we wish "a little" is a lot easier than getting "a lot" - and that's what we're going for. It works out that the higher the amplitude of the RF on the grid, the higher the voltage can be and not lose particles to the tank walls, and conversely. But at too-low voltages, they aren't going very fast when passing one another, and we hope, colliding. Further, the higher the charge density at any one point in space and time, the less effective our applied field is - it may be swamped by the particles themselves.
Since making kilovolt RF+DC fields, which vary appropriately by guess and hitting the magic numbers is super unlikely (wasted a year and a tear)...the slower but surer way now seems best.
And due to the non linear response of the tank itself...a sine wave might not be the thing we want...and on and on for quite a lot of possibilities. So I want to creep up on it.
Doug Coulter

Return to Theories and speculations