Moving posts and threads

This is where any newbies should begin. See various FAQs and rules, learn to search, find out how to join the forums so you can post yourself.
Forum rules
The rules should go without saying, but here they are:
Use your real name, and if you use an avatar, make it a picture of you. This is for real people only.
Don't cuss -- I don't mind, but others may.
Don't get personal and call names.
Stay on-topic -- start a new thread for a new topic. Try to get it in the right category. If you have a question about what that might be, ask me.
Be informative and provide useful information. Please search to see if your question is already answered before asking again.
Keep speculations and general gassing to the forums/threads meant for them.
Don't ask a question, then start a fight over the answer. Google/Wiki things first if you can manage.
Don't anger me -- if you do, you're toast here.
Don't put copyrighted material up here and get me in trouble.

Moving posts and threads

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 am

As we set up forums and subforums, which I suspect will be a long time ongoing situation as we adapt to what people are interested in, the need arises to move posts and threads from where they were to a new, better place. So far, the only way for a plain user to do this is to simply copy a post (<ctrl>A, <ctrl>C, delete it (the button marked X next to the edit button), and then paste the content to the new spot.

However, a moderator can just move things (which could be a bit disconcerting to the user if they don't see where it went and thought it was just lost) if asked to. For that case, I'd prefer to be asked -- send a private message to me as Doug Coulter preferably (since that's what I'm usually logged in as) and I'll move posts and whole threads/topics as requested so this is a better organized "book of all hard science knowledge". If I just do it without being asked, the amount of email or messages everyone would get to let them know I didn't delete something, but just moved it, would be kind of prohibitive and take some of the fun out of this for us all. Since fun is a priority -- let's try doing this the gentle way :D No need for me to be arbitrary at this point -- I did that by making this invite only already. So far, we are not seeing bad posts that need warnings or deletions -- just some that aren't in the best place, and it will take us all awhile to learn what those places are, and make some new ones if I left out some things (very likely) :roll:
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Coulter's Smithing forums