Welcome to Coulter's Smithing forums

This is where any newbies should begin. See various FAQs and rules, learn to search, find out how to join the forums so you can post yourself.
Forum rules
The rules should go without saying, but here they are:
Use your real name, and if you use an avatar, make it a picture of you. This is for real people only.
Don't cuss -- I don't mind, but others may.
Don't get personal and call names.
Stay on-topic -- start a new thread for a new topic. Try to get it in the right category. If you have a question about what that might be, ask me.
Be informative and provide useful information. Please search to see if your question is already answered before asking again.
Keep speculations and general gassing to the forums/threads meant for them.
Don't ask a question, then start a fight over the answer. Google/Wiki things first if you can manage.
Don't anger me -- if you do, you're toast here.
Don't put copyrighted material up here and get me in trouble.

Welcome to Coulter's Smithing forums

Postby fusordoug » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:59 pm

These forums are meant to foster a community, and build up useful information for all to read and learn from. The intent is to stick primarily to practical, hands-on, experiential knowledge in most of the forums here, in other words, things that teach someone else what you know. Newbies start here and get the feel of things before posting, please. Try searching, your question may already be answered. In general, we'd prefer not to answer questions you can get a decent answer to in a minute of Googling or looking on Wikipedia -- use those first for background, this is for practical details. If your main interest here is fusors, you might want to check out The Open Source Fusor Forum which has a wealth of practical information available, and a thriving community. They have about the same ideas as I, so do use their search function first. Many of us here (and there) could, and maybe did, write the book on a number of topics, but we often don't wish to do it again just for one question and just one person, so be polite :) If you need a mentor, ask for that and you may be surprised who will answer the call -- but on email, not here. People just starting out on the fusor quest might find the Open Source Fusor forum better at first -- they seem to have enough patience to answer what amounts to the same question hundreds of times for each person asking it. Here we will just give a link to the correct material and expect you to not need too much hand-holding.

Please try to find the right category to post in -- we have put up a goodly number, and if that's not enough, try emailing me at clab@swva.net and perhaps I can suggest a good one -- or add a new one. The intent is to handle, with decent organization, all hard science and technology, but obviously it will take some time to get all fleshed out.

You can use the user control panel to put in contact info, and an avatar if you like, to make your reality as a human being more obvious to the rest of us.
I am currently allowing up to 7 pix or other attachments per post -- we will see what's needed. Your avatar has to be 90 by 90 and under 6kbytes or the board won't eat it.

We want makers here, not fakers or takers, or trolls. I will brutally throw those latter types off without any compunction. Don't blow it ;)

What's a coulter, anyway? Well, the lowercase version is the circular knife an ancestor of mine invented that cuts the turf ahead of a horse-drawn plow so the American west could be farmed and settled. All of us since have turned into engineers, or nearly all. And yes, we're of Scottish descent, funny thing, that.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
fusordoug
Site Admin

Return to Coulter's Smithing forums