Test Sources

Connect with other forum members and swap your goodies.

Re: Test Sources

Postby Joe Jarski » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks. I'll probably pick some of these up since I could use a Cs137 source anyway. I was just brainstorming other things that I might be able to use them for.

I was thinking along the lines of it being a sort of "pilot" to keep the thing lit or a trigger to light it of at lower starting pressures. You're probably right though, there may not be enough gasses at high vacuum for the rads to plow into reliably without it being a really hot source - probably would have come across someone else already doing it by now if it worked.
Joe Jarski

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:29 pm

Yeah, that's my take, good calibration source -- the best. In the tubes, they have a lot of gas pressure for it to work with. Almost every other possible calibration source (eg your basic hot rock of some ore or whatever) has so many daughter products and lines you need a really good gamma spec to even resolve it all - fun to look at after you have one, but not that useful to get there in the first place.

Bill does want me to do an experiment, and as soon as the weather is right, I'm going to do it. We have a shoebox of very hot rocks and other sources. It reads a few millirem/hour from outside the box, I'd guess if we used them all, about 10 mrem/hr. The idea is to get two boxes, one with hot rocks, one with just rocks. Put a couple slices of bread in a baggie in each one. See which one molds worst/first. I think this will be less effective than the short UV breadbox I saw online, but who knows? Might get some interesting mutations on the molds or something. I'll do that in my remote storage building, where I'm not exposed myself -- no one hangs out there and it's far from here, so it should be reasonably safe to do and is a good place to store things like that. Even in a lead pig, most of that stuff gives off radon.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Joe Jarski » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:36 pm

LOL, that'll be an interesting experiment - there's no telling what kind microscopic mutants you'll end up with doing that. I've heard that a rolling stone gathers no moss, I wonder if a "hot" one does?
Joe Jarski

Postby chrismb » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:10 pm

Well, I did order a couple off George. There must be a factory load of these floating around the system. I noticed an ebay listing a few months old has already sold a batch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &viewitem=

I paid George's price, though!!! That's epay for you...

Another post lurking on the web give's one guy's estimate of them as being ~0.24uCi. I guess that makes them ~57 years old!?
chrismb

Postby Doug Coulter » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Google amazes. I found an actual data sheet!

9-11 kv breakdown voltage. Hey Bill, get a couple extra for mini tesla coils. They're probably pretty good.

TG-20A.pdf
Data sheet for sparkgap tube series from Clare
(200.5 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Previous

Return to The Trading Post