3-D print a gun..

Tips and descriptions of materials you use

3-D print a gun..

Postby chrismb » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 am

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1335 ... rinted-gun

Chamber is still metal, but apparently it's the receiver that is the 'licensed' part of a gun, and you can buy the chamber separately.

Incidentally, came to this from a link off of 'NASA 3D prints rocket parts..';

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1400 ... ot-plastic
chrismb

Re: 3-D print a gun..

Postby Jerry » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:34 am

Yeah, it is pretty neat for low stress areas. A few months ago someone was working on an "open source" printable firearm, of course parts like the barrel and bolt still need to be bought.

Now with the shooting here in Oregon and in Connecticut thing are going to get annoying for a while.

A little interesting tidbit about the shooting here that has not been reported:

http://www.examiner.com/article/media-b ... b_articles
Jerry

Re: 3-D print a gun..

Postby Doug Coulter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:41 am

Yes, the part you can 3-d print is the part that usually has the serial number stamped on it. It is, of course, against the law to make a gun and then sell it (you can make your own, however). You'd still have to machine your own slide (the bottom part, the guide) for a semi-auto etc - plastic won't cut it there either, nor will it make a decent hammer/firing group. Not that it's all that hard to just make a gun (buying a barrel, that part IS hard) with a lathe and some stock. They're pretty simple in bolt action single shot, I even have design drawings for those. Might take a couple of days if you go slow and make it perfect, but about a couple hours once you've done a few.

/////

It's my business (stock trading) to get the news about half an hour ahead of everyone else. I've been watching the news on the shooting go through some very wild gyrations as they adjust the "spin" and even the facts to suit "someone's" agenda.

The first report had two people/perps - one found in the woods with body armor and camo, armed. On this first report, the bushmaster was found in the shooter's car - not inside the school. Then things changed.

Now, there was this other "person of interest" who evidently wasn't involved at all, and the bushmaster did all the killing, even though the guy had a couple handguns too.
Since he offed himself (or that's what they are saying), it's kind of hard to reconcile that with the gun being found in his car outdoors. And all mention of the body armor just went away - the dog that didn't bark. Either it was found or it wasn't.

Like the VA tech shooting, the police were there, and stormed the *other* buildings in the school, but didn't go into the school till the noise stopped. Pardon my french, but that's chickenshit, no public heros to be found in either town, apparently.

The same time - there was a mass stabbing of school kids in China. Very little reporting as it didn't fit the agenda, but about the same number of victims. But since the guy only used a knife...

While I recognize that media does edit and spin to suit themselves, as does anyone who has been an eyewitness and then seen the coverage of the same event - almost no relation in some cases - there's more than the usual "change of story" going on here, and it suits a particular agenda, so watch close and see how the world really works. You're going to be disgusted, I predict.

Remember, we currently have an attorney general in contempt of congress - spared by "executive privilege", for refusing to reveal details of the "fast and furious" program they instituted to arm the Mexican drug cartels, so the guns could be traced back to the USA to push this same agenda - disarming the good guys.
While this situation might not be another false flag operation like that one - we do have the quote "never let a crisis go to waste" around our government.

Trying to disarm Americans generally just isn't going to work. I heard there are about 120 million legit guns out here, and I think that this number is extremely low - it's more like triple that. A heck of a lot of them will be buried if disarmament is undertaken, to be dug up later to sell to criminals for high premiums after sawing them out of the sealed PVC pipe. Nice new black market, sure, that'll help things.

Lessee - lets make alcohol illegal. Doesn't work, and we still have the Mafia it made rich.
Drugs - OK, made them illegal too, raised the price to the point of it being profitable to shoot people for turf, making the worst people on earth rich (and major donators to the "cause" of the war on drugs, since that's what makes them rich, else there'd be no risk money in it).
And now we want to try the same thing with guns.

Isn't the definition of insanity trying the same thing over and over, but expecting it to work this time? I'm all for a solution that would work...as soon as it's identified. But history tells us that there was a lot of killing before guns too - it's a human nature problem, not the availability of a particular killing tool. Places where there are fewer guns also have this - and places where everyone has a gun have none (My county, Switzerland)....I don't see any worthwhile correlation. Home invasions in Austrailia went up when the good guys guns were confiscated. A band aid on the symptom isn't the answer, anymore than heroin is the answer for pain - why not fix the problem rather than the symptom?
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Materials