Link to Kohl

Tips and descriptions of materials you use

Link to Kohl

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:24 am

That I hope is out of copyright. At any rate, I got it off the internet myself. The new book is far too thick and too valuable to take a apart and scan, sorry. It's worth buying outright, actually, it's one of the most valuable on my shelf, but it rarely sits there -- it's open and read all the time, or being shown to someone as having the answers to their questions. Kohl really was there and did that to the max, and all the trade secrets are in there. My kind of guy.

The new edition is:
Handbook of Materials and Techniques for Vacuum Devices (eg covers more than the one linked below).
Walter H. Kohl
AIP Press (yes, that means it ain't cheap -- Amazon has it listed by isbn for about 80 bucks -- and you know, it is cheap for the content, for once)
ISBN: 1-56396-387-6

This covers vacuum tube materials and technique so I'm putting this in it's own topic as it covers half the other stuff listed here, and should encourage you to go ahead and buy the new one which is much-much better yet.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Link to Kohl

Postby Joe Jarski » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:08 am

I just got my copy of Kohl's book "Handbook of Materials and Techniques for Vacuum Devices". So far I just glanced through it, but WOW what a gold mine of information! It has information on materials that I used to have to chase down from six different sources. It's nice to have it all in one reference.
Joe Jarski

Re: Link to Kohl

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:56 am

Glad to hear it. It was solid gold to me (thanks BillF!) -- so you can see why I tell everyone to get a copy -- it really is worth it. This is the straight skinny by someone who was there and did that in spades. I've seen no close equal to it. When he says it works, it does, when he says it won't work, you might make it work, but it'll be ugly. Just the pure correct, practical stuff. Saves endless time and money here to know what's in there. We need all these giants to stand upon the shoulders of to move things forward. (can you tell I'm a book lover, though selectively?) There is one other in our library that is almost close, I'll have to search for the exact name but it's the RCA internal publication for new designers of vacuum tubes, same idea. Not how to design with tubes, how to design tubes, that one, or the earlier one. Compliments the Kohl. You should also check out the Humpries stuff on beamlines.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Materials