Glass and Quartz

Tips and descriptions of materials you use

Re: Glass and Quartz

Postby Jerry » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:03 pm

William A Washburn wrote:These are really nice. If it's OK with you I want my daughter (40 YO artist in Portland, OR) to see these. Would it be OK to give her
a link or JPG? She does everything including glass (electric kilns). Sometimes she gets commissions for leaded glass
(as in church widows) and they are beautiful. When she firt started out in Portland she went to work for a pot-glass manufacturer called
UroBoRos [http://www.uroboros.com/index.html]. My brother and I got a tour one night on the way to dinner. These folks would get
a pot and usually put in three colors, and mix carefully, (the mixers were the true artists), pour out just enough into a given roll press with
etched rolls to give the glass random texture so the kinda square 2/2 ft that came out was the right size and thickness.
I spent 1/2 hour going through the racks of cooled finished stock and almost bought a piece to put in a light box on my wall. It
was sky blue mixed with almost black blue and a nedium blue all with a beautiful texture in transparency and thickness.
With nobody having touched the blank it looked like a flowing river! Another had three reds and one orange and looked like fall leaves,
"again with no intervention". Those flat-looking leaded glass works you have seen made of transparent colored glass, when re-cut and
say a leaf replaced with this part number would simply make you breathless. Anyway, Katy does the kind of work you displayed and would
be really happy to see your work if that is OK with you.

Its currently on display at Bullseye Glass in Portland.

-Jerry
Jerry

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:33 pm

Just adding a link to a video I made about my new toolpost grinder cutting pyrex tubing - this also works on more difficult materials like alumina and quartz.
https://youtu.be/j12DKlHjdkc

I have to submit this ready or not to get the board link to put in the you tube description...
Seems like no matter what you wind up editing something after someone is looking at it and during a few people are seeing it, and often, editing changes things so they get a bad time. Sigh.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Roberto Ferrari » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:48 am

Hi fellows

Here also experimenting with quartz, specifically to develop excimer lamps.
See our last lamp still at the pumping station. It is attached through a quartz to pyrex transition, 1/4" diam.
My hand torch is propane-oxygen and to seal that quartz thickness is cumbersome.
Probably will switch to hydrogen-oxygen but I think my torch cannot be adapted to hydrogen. Any experience about?

Roberto
Attachments
IMG_5037.JPG
Roberto Ferrari

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:16 am

I've had good luck with oxy-acetylene, carefully adjusted (not reducing flame - we don't want to leave hydrocarbon compounds behind).
I was told it wouldn't work by someone who does quartz for a living (for semiconductor fabs) but it works for me. Probably a purity issue if you're not careful.
If for permanent seal-off, seems you're on the right track if your quartz-pyrex joint doesn't crack.
For my stuff, I make end plugs of some substance and seal with viton O rings. I kind of doubt that would work for eximers, and they do
let a little water diffuse into them.

Edit: I did try an electrolysis based hydrox torch for awhile, but almost no matter what, flashback was a big problem, so I set it aside.
You'd want something that does the mixing right up near the tip, and I guess small tip orifice, but I'm not really qualified to say much about it.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Roberto Ferrari » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi,
Will try with acetylene, but in a couple of weeks.
By now too much expenses in different products...
A manufacturer told me it is not possible to use hydrogen in a propane torch.

With reference to attach the quartz lamp to the vacuum station, I am planning a 1/4" compression port, with viton o-ring, in order to avoid the transition.
Roberto Ferrari

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:35 pm

Yes, hydrogen burns so fast and easily that the fire tends to go back inside the torch head.
Oxy acetylene gets it done with sheer BTUs and enough temperature to do quartz fine - I need welding goggles to keep from hurting my eyes with the bright white glow it gets to.
Dunno about where you are, but here a pro welder I know just switches regulators and tanks with his torch, in his case using propane to save money when he doesn't need the raw power - I think it's a standard acetylene torch.

A whole lot of things are different if you're going to keep it on a pump all the time....in that case my trick with end caps and O ring seals works, and you could just do the vacuum out of one of the ends with pipe....
Doug Coulter

Postby Roberto Ferrari » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:54 pm

Good solution, to switch from one fuel to other.

I don´t get your idea about the end caps.
When the lamp be processed and filled with the right mixture, will be sealed off.
In the next future my idea is to use a quartz exhausting tube connected to a compression port. Will use a massive brass nut in order to protect the viton o-ring from the high temp needed at sealing point.
Roberto Ferrari

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:29 pm

I wasn't thinking correctly about what's involved in excimer lamps. I was wrongly assuming quartz/metal seals to conduct the drive electricity in, when pretty much all, if not all excimer stuff uses some sort of RF drive.
If you've got such a seal, the thing through it can be hollow to let the vacuum pump work, let gas in, then be sealed off in a way that doesn't permit any permeating of gas in or out.
Nothing but a real metal closure or glass/quartz melted seal will suffice "off the pumps" - viton isn't even close to being good enough for more than an hour or so without help from pumping.
Doug Coulter

Postby Roberto Ferrari » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:20 pm

I will rethink my plan based in your comments.
Thanks a lot!
Roberto Ferrari

Previous

Return to Materials