3D printing in metal

Stuff you made and how to make cool stuff

Re: 3D printing in metal

Postby Jake Gray » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:35 pm

I don't think 3d printing vs cad/cam vs manual machining is a valid comparison. They are different tools and have different strengths for different applications. I saw a wonderful 3D printed turbo exhaust manifold done in titanium that would have been difficult/impossible/expensive with casting, machining or fabrication. It's another tool in the box.
Jake Gray

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:31 pm

^^^ this. :mrgreen:
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby johnf » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:53 am

Doug
Don't forget you have thta titanium knife blade on your work bench somewhere that I gave you
3D printed and all
johnf

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:32 pm

Somewhere being the key word, as I can't seem to put my hands on it at this instant.
For those not in the know, John visited here and brought what I'd describe as a scuba diver's knife he'd made in his lab out of titanium. If I recall right, he then nitrided it via direct nitrogen ion bombardment in an accelerator. Sure is sharp...I probably put it somewhere "safe" as a result. Sometimes the creative chaos around here is just plain chaos and I'm usually missing a few things I'm *sure* I have somewhere. Someday, I'll get around to putting a proper handle on it. For more detail, ask John.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Previous

Return to Machining and Fabrication