Titanium pendant frame

Stuff you made and how to make cool stuff

Titanium pendant frame

Postby Jerry » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:39 am

So here's the thing I made. A titanium pendant frame for a girl at work. Some sort of large insect from java will be encased in it with water clear plastic. The part is unfinished other than deburring. This is the first time I have done anything other than ring like items on the lathe and anything other than engraving on the mill in titanium. Machined very well. Does leave some nasty splinter fragments though.

I am including a link to the video on youtube. You really need to watch it full screen due to the size of the part being machined and how close I can get the camera tripos to the machine (Just an iphone).

First part is doing the pocket. ~3000RPM at 8ipm, second is doing a re-machining of the corners and a finish pass around the inside, third is spotting, fourth is drilling the holes for fixturing and casting, they will be covered by the bug.

After this I took a piece of sacrificial aluminum, face milled it, drilled two holes (While crashing the machine) to match the ones in the pendant, and tapped them 6-32. The pendant was screwed down to the block. The last section is cutting the contour around the outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g216OieL3fY

And here is me crashing the machine. OOPS!

IMGP6519 by macona, on Flickr

IMGP6521 by macona, on Flickr
Jerry

Re: Titanium pendant frame

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:41 am

Jerry,
you should know that every time you post one of these, a significant number of our significant others are hitting on us to get you to make some for them! You're developing a fan club!
Nice work!
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Machining and Fabrication