Backdoor yourself for fun and ???

Software you wrote

Re: Backdoor yourself for fun and ???

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun May 26, 2019 9:56 am

I adopted a slightly different method for that and horse manure - which around here you can be thanked for taking away from the "hobby horse" farmers. It won't work if I go back to tiny raised beds (you always wind up eating that room, eh?).
What I've done for many years in the big plot is just to put things like hot manure (or slightly buried kitchen scraps, which can be as hot sometimes) in between the plants - with all that space there's room for the extra odd sq foot piles of stuff where the plant roots aren't reaching (that I know of). Since I use almost no plan or organization normally - I just buy what transplants look good and feel right at the time from the local nursery I favor - and then plant them "about here looks right".

This results in selective fertilizing that averages out over time, and if the plants want to reach out to the hotter stuff in the meanwhile, they can but need not. I transplant with a spoon or two each of bone and blood meal mixed in the soil under where the little potting soil bit goes, and they really jump up fast (you'll put your eye out with that thing!).

So far, so good - no fried plants...

Again, the "just do it all in place" has advantages and disadvantages. It's bigger and more to deal with - need a longer hose if I'm going to water it (just built a new system off an old sprayer I can cart around in the tractor cart as we just went from floods to drought) etc, and you should maybe weed, which I hate when it's hot like now (was 90's yesterday) - so I often just don't bother, except at first, and very near my plants. The rest just keeps all the fixed nitrogen from going into the air, and is tilled back in to compost anyway,

So it looks nasty, but works. Current pic:
im_0007_20190526_104022.jpg
A little shady in the AM - can you even see my plants in the weeds here>

FWIW, I'm posting right now from a fairly old box - a 4th gen i5 nuc, as my newer one crapped the bed this AM - and it looks like a hardware power control problem. No video, gets an IP but I never put vnc in it...usb acts like it's all recognized before it could possibly have booted - it's borked. I'm making copies of the SSD main drive (which passed fsck) and spinner backup to this backup of backups and have ordered (yuck) a 7th gen i5 nuc + ddr4 and new SSD to replace it. I'd kept this one working for a long time - two teardowns to replace the crappy heatsink grease and remove dirt etc...but the broadwell was never really right - blinky graphics issues, but fast for a laptop grade cpu.

I've really not wanted to upgrade till intel fixes some things (the ones we all know about) and gets back into "worth the bucks" range again - but it is what it is, so I went for one generation back from the latest for half price...
Staying with the NUC type boxes for now despite intel's 'opposite of continuous improvement" build quality as I really don't want a big noisy tower - it's nice to be able to just leave this one and the solar power system not even notice (as long as you turn off the big screen TV) - power factor stuff - these more or less don't show on my instrumentation as a load...

Gah, that show your butt crack to the sky dirty work again, and since there will be an opsys upgrade (from Mint-Mate 18.3 to 19.1) that won't just upgrade, but needs full re-install (this is supposed to be the last time for that stuff - it's supposed to be easier after this) - it means tons of sysadming work at a level of detail I never scripted for this box position (living room, total comfort, huge display, wireless keyboard, use with feet up kinda setup).
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Previous

Return to Homebrew