Leybold TMP50

How to get to vacuum, what the classes are, and what is needed for what job.

Leybold TMP50

Postby Jerry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Got mine today. Absolutely filthy, at least on the outside. They wiped it down and I can still smell the cleaner. Something like simple green. The rubber fan mounts have degraded to nothing.

Rotor turns smoothly though.

What kind of use would a turbo see where is gets covered in black goo? If I cap the fore and the intake would it be safe to put it in an ultrasonic?

ImageLeybold TMP50 by macona, on Flickr
Jerry

Re: Leybold TMP50

Postby johnf » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:40 pm

Jerry
I certainly would not put it in an ultrasonic cleaner
It will nacker the SiN balls in the ballbearings By all means block its orifices and hand clean with alchohol remeber all the bits are O-ringed together so whatever you use has to be O-ring safe.
PS do not bake it afterwards --the grease will run out of the bearings
johnf

Postby Jerry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Yeah, I thought about the bearings after I posted.

I contacted the seller and they are shipping me another one with a return label. Guess I will pick the better of the two.

Have you had one of these apart before?
Jerry

Postby johnf » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:33 pm

Jerry
Why would anyone want to dismantle one

I wouldn't

opps
A leybold TMP50 middle bit far left. The rest a leybold TMP150C

turbo.jpg
johnf

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Dismantle if it's useless anyway because it's cool looking inside?

I used (way back) to be an electronics repairman. We got that black goo on a lot of stuff (TV's, stereos, you name it).
Things here pick up a bit -- I'm in the country and for one thing heat with wood -- getting cold here. Sometimes smoke comes out, we cook etc. Doesn't mean the insides of my vac systems aren't really clean, the outsides don't matter much.

Could be I'm the only guy on earth doing fusors and deposition with a woodstove in the room -- which I have used to solder SMD with....kind of fun to be a little different.
(my other turbo system is in my bedroom/kitchen) I'm guessing in some industrial situations it's pretty goopy too, though most I've seen are sparkling clean.
Friend John Bain (who I hope will show up here) designs solvent recovery plants, ethanol plants, things like that. They are pretty nasty, and they use vac pumps all the time.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Jerry » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:43 am

Got my replacement pump. They cleaned this one a whole lot better. It also has a full 5" fan on it instead of the smaller one. The pump is pretty new too. Label has the date 2006 on it. Also gives a little better specs on the input, 150v AC, 1233Hz, .3A, 72,000RPM.

Packing still sucked though. Best guess is the black goo is from dust in the air+rough pump oil+cooling fan.

John, looking at your drive schematic it looks like it will only provide half voltage?
Jerry

Postby johnf » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Jerry
I worked out how much voltage from measuring the winding inductance and around 100 volts is enough.
The leybold controller gives bursts of energy to the motor so its voltage is probably higher. A nice side effect of my controller is that you dont have to have the fan if the system sits at ten to the minus five or below millibar
johnf

Postby Jerry » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:54 am

Ok. Sounds good to me. The guys I got the pump from told me to keep the other pump too. Getting totally pumped up here.
Jerry

Postby Jerry » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:40 pm

The guys that sold the pumps have some of the drives for them as well. Used the offer thingy and got the drive for $75 plus shipping. Cant even think of building one for that price. Still a couple left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEYBOLD-TURBOVAC-50 ... 2323262192
Jerry

Postby Jerry » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:18 pm

I finally got the pump and drive hooked up on a vacuum system and it seems to work fine. The controller is annoying with its pulsed operation. I thought there was something wrong with it at first with the way it sounded until I found a video of one running on youtube and it sounded the same.
Jerry

Next

Return to Vacuum Technique