Search found 6 matches

by Farsight
Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:05 pm
Forum: Announce yourself
Topic: Hello from John Duffield
Replies: 14
Views: 11992

Re: Hello from John Duffield

Well, yes, the "hot is fast" thing is in my opinion, very overused. Hot is fast in all the degrees of freedom, which means energy is wasted into degrees of freedom that do me little or no good... Fair enough. I had electrons in mind. Yep, I know what you mean about the highway.

Curtis is one ...
by Farsight
Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:48 am
Forum: Announce yourself
Topic: Hello from John Duffield
Replies: 14
Views: 11992

Re: Hello from John Duffield

A-thermal sounds good Doug. The thing that the public don't seem to appreciate is that when it comes to particle physics, hot is fast moving. A proton doesn't have any property of temperature. Re the crystal, to improve your chances you don't shoot from exactly face-on. Take a step to the side and ...
by Farsight
Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:51 pm
Forum: Announce yourself
Topic: Hello from John Duffield
Replies: 14
Views: 11992

Re: Hello from John Duffield

I don't know enough about this to contribute usefully Doug. All I have is outline fundamental concepts. It goes something like this: the thermal approach is like me firing a fusillade of lead bullets inside my garage. They're fast, so they're "hot". Sometimes I get lucky and two fall to the ground ...
by Farsight
Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:35 pm
Forum: Announce yourself
Topic: Hello from John Duffield
Replies: 14
Views: 11992

Re: Hello from John Duffield

Sounds good Doug. Unfortunately in my case when it comes to high voltage and big amperages I fear I might turn out to be the idiot, if you catch my drift. I have a question for anyone here that knows some theory. DD can take three reaction paths, the first two about equal probality, one of which ...
by Farsight
Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:21 pm
Forum: Announce yourself
Topic: Hello from John Duffield
Replies: 14
Views: 11992

Re: Hello from John Duffield

Thanks Doug. I can't advise on how to make it better, I was hoping I could pick up a few tips from you actually. I like your ethos wherein one takes the best of big science and individual endeavour. Not that the two are the best of bedfellows, but I think it's important to be hands-on. I talk to ...
by Farsight
Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:00 pm
Forum: Announce yourself
Topic: Hello from John Duffield
Replies: 14
Views: 11992

Hello from John Duffield

Hi Doug, John Duffield here. I'm the "relativity+" guy, an amateur with an interest in fundamental physics and education. I followed your link from physicsworld. I see you're into electronics, and I guess you know all about The World's Simplest Fusion Reactor . I've recently start a physics ...