Search found 5 matches

by Bob Mcree
Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:58 pm
Forum: Metrology
Topic: inexpensive webcam based spectrometer
Replies: 4
Views: 14517

Re: inexpensive webcam based spectrometer

Hey Jerry, greetings from another "webfoot" here in Oregon. I am a couple of hours from you. I am a California native who moved here 7 yrs ago so we could afford to have room for our horses to run. I worked with the early Ocean Optics spectrometers that used a Sharp fax machine detector. We worked ...
by Bob Mcree
Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:24 am
Forum: Metrology
Topic: inexpensive webcam based spectrometer
Replies: 4
Views: 14517

inexpensive webcam based spectrometer

The folks at publiclaboratory.org have come up with a $40 kit to build a spectrometer using an HD webcam, slice of a DVD-R, and a slit, mounted in an electrical conduit box. Using their web-based software at spectralworkbench.org, a full function spectrometer with data capture can be achieved. They ...
by Bob Mcree
Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:02 am
Forum: Announce yourself
Topic: Central Oregon Retired EE
Replies: 7
Views: 7083

Re: Central Oregon Retired EE

The spectrometer design uses a color webcam simply because they are everywhere. I agree eliminating the Bayer filters and the quartet of sensors for each pixel would simplify things greatly. The camera software is open source, and there is a stand-alone java version I never used that may or may not ...
by Bob Mcree
Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:00 pm
Forum: Announce yourself
Topic: Central Oregon Retired EE
Replies: 7
Views: 7083

Re: Central Oregon Retired EE

Thanks again Doug, I am looking forward to working together. I have been playing around lately with spectrometers made from a webcam and a piece of a DVD-r. It started with a CERN design and software from publiclaboratory.org. they have kits for sale but all it takes is the camera, a piece of 1200 ...
by Bob Mcree
Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:59 am
Forum: Announce yourself
Topic: Central Oregon Retired EE
Replies: 7
Views: 7083

Central Oregon Retired EE

Greetings friends, and thanks to Doug for what I'm sure has been a mountain of work handling all our new requests for membership in this great forum. I helped build some of the first MRI machines back in the late 70's-80's at UCSF and eventually moved on to private companies building MRI systems ...